Lunes, Mayo 26, 2014

The Tale of Mischance


http://stuckattheairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/AZUL-PINK-AIRPLANE1.jpg

   Since I've learned that my Aunt Perry from Florida is coming to the Philippines for a vacation this year, I couldn't stop getting excited that I literally counting the days for her arrival. I haven't seen her for more or less than eight years. And what triggers my enthusiasm the most is the news that we will be having a family reunion and that she is sponsoring my airfare. Going back to Cagwait, Surigao del Sur (my mother's hometown) once again was actually one of my plans years ago that didn't happen for a lot of reasons. This was also an item to my "prayer list notebook" since last year. And I was pretty sure, that May 16-21, 2014 is the appointed time for the fulfillment of this long time plan. I can't wait to see my relatives which I haven't seen for more than a decade. My Lola Auling, cousins, nieces&nephews,aunts&uncles knew I'm coming. They keep on calling me, checking me for my ETD and ETA. I can tell from the sound of their voices over the phone that they are all excited to see me. Two weeks before my flight, I already packed my traveling bag with things to bring. I was super ready then...and thrilled at the idea that with this trip, I will be a solo backpacker for the first time. Flying from Manila to Cebu, then Cebu to Surigao City. From Surigao City, Surigao del Norte, I will be riding a bus bound for Tandag City, Surigao del Sur for more or less than three hours. From Tandag, I need to ride a bus or jeepney that will take me to Cagwait and from Cagwait I will ride a tricycle to get to my Lola's house. I can only imagine how would i feel commuting for long hours alone. Being a stranger to a place I'm not familiar both scares and excites me. There are many "what ifs" running through my head. But I'm confident that I can make it home safely. Besides, I have faith God's divine protection is upon me. I was on fire, when suddenly an icy cold circumstance change everything.

  This icy cold circumstance I'm talking about is when I missed my flight for Manila-Cebu via Airasia on May 16, 2014. My departure time is 6:45pm but I got there at Terminal 4 in NAIA around 6:10pm. I was stuck on traffic for two hours in Edsa! So when I got there, the ticket check-in girl told me they already close the boarding gate around 6:00 o'clock. She said I was super late. I know I should check in at least two hours before my flight schedule but i read something in the plane ticket that says 2 hours to 45 minute the passenger should be there in the airport. So i thought I could still make it. Or maybe I was just hallucinating that I  thought I read it that but actually there is no such thing like that and the truth is I was just late. That's all! Late and I can't afford to book another flight because with Airasia rebooking and rerouting is not allowed. Lutang ako that time when the Airasia girl told me my ticket is forfeited. I was like, "what the hell?!" My thoughts are screaming, "you blew it! you're not going to Surigao anymore. The entire trip was cancelled and you just wasted the money!" I check the web for other airlines for airfare prices but they are all too costly. Hindi makatarungang bumili ng ganun kamahal na ticket. Imagine the next flight for Cebu that night costs around P8,000 one way, while my rountrip ticket only cost P5,000+.With a broken heart and scattered mind,I  left the airport and decided to go home.On my way home, I  walk along Edsa, don't know where to go. I just want to walk, I just want to make libang of myself eventhough my feet hurts from walking and my arms were in pain from the heavy bag I'm carrying. I was surprise I didn't cry. I just let my  mind wander.

 I just can't believe that the entire trip was cancelled. I also didn't think that I can opt for a ship transport since I can't bear the 3-day travel by bus from Manila to Tandag. If only I knew through the internet that Superferry is departing by 2am on May 17 I could have gone to the pier and board that ship. So many questions I ask myself: why I was late? why I didn't feel the sense of urgency that day knowing I have a flight. Why can't I go to Surigao smoothly? But then God spoke to my heart. He comforted me. He confirmed it to me many times through various circumstance why I can't go to Surigao yet. I was just insistent. Who knows what could happen to me as I travel alone?  My cousin told me that the road from Surigao City to Tandag is quiet rough and bit dangerous. He said I should have chosen Butuan to Tandag route since main road is smooth and safe. I'm so persistent with this trip while the circumstances, my Dad, my siblings keep me from going. Anyway, no matter what reasons I  tell myself, no matter how much I blame myself it don't matter anymore. The trip was over. And perhaps the trip wasn't really meant for me or maybe I just missed the chance. Now, I don't know when can I visit my Mom's hometown again and see my relatives. But I am hoping that the next Surigao trip I have, God be willing, I'm with my whole family na. It will take me a year of saving for the vacation budget. Pero ok lang, what's important is I'm with my family and we'll go together to visit our grandma and other relatives.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento